What is elopement?
Eloping is secretly getting married without the knowledge of the couple’s family and friends, particularly their parents. The couple would usually only have a ceremony. A lot of eloping couples choose not to deal with paperwork on their day, choosing to leave legalities at another time. Instead, they have their ceremonies exactly as they want, exchanging their vows in the most spectacular place.
Why couples elope in the Algarve?
Have you been dreaming to get married by the ocean, travelling to a special place, which has significance for you both? Perhaps you and your partner are very spontaneous types always looking for an adventure. Maybe the idea of a big destination wedding is just not your thing, taking care of your guests accommodation, dealing with travel preparation for many people. Maybe you’re trying to save money for beginning your life together and just had this idea of turning your next beach vacation into a very special nuptials as well. These are just some reasons why many couples are opting for a quick and swift elopement instead of a traditional celebration.
How to elope?
These are the essential steps to follow when you’ve decided to elope.
- Prepare the Legal side of the process. Do you need a license and how long will it take? What documents to prepare if getting married in Portugal? How about a having a city hall appointment?
- Find Your Vendors and Book Your Travel. Find the local planner who will take care of the beach license, decor and music for your ceremony. You can have a very special tailored ceremony in your native language. Get in touch with the photographer in advance.
- Get ready for the Ceremony. What will you wear? Do you want a bouquet? Will you exchange the rings?
- Have a Post-Elopement party. Celebrate your Big Day with your family and friends, or just having a romantic dinner just for two of you – the choice is yours. You can always postpone the celebration for a later date, instead making the anniversary date as a reason for a family party.
Top-5 locations for beach elopement in the Algarve
- Falesia Beach near Albufeira
- Three Brothers Beach in Alvor
- Quinta Albasol with cliff top veiw in Carvoeiro
- Sao Rafael Beach in Albufeira
- Lady of the Rock cliff top venue in Carvoeiro
Quick Tip: many couples keep asking if it’s possible to get married at the famous Benagil Cave. Well, there’s nothing impossible, just keep in mind the the only way to get inside the cave is from the sea, which means either renting boats for all your vendors and yourself, or getting inside on the paddle-board. This is the busiest cave in the whole Algarve, so don’t expect this to be a private event.
Olga Rosi – Algarve elopement photographer. Destination photographer for small intimate weddings in Vilamoura, Quarteira, Alvor, Faro, Lagos, Carvoeiro, Tavira, Albufeira. Artistic photography for weddings, pre weddings, engagement and elopement photography.